Biyernes, Hulyo 13, 2012

Music Musings

Let me tell you a story. Back in 2009, news spread like wildfire that The Killers will have a one-night concert here in Manila. February 2010. I was ecstatic. December 2009, Tati, my former officemate and I, bought our tickets. Excited kids, we were. February came and a week before the big night, the band broke up. Concert, cancelled. Hearts, broken. Fans, angry and disappointed.


Been a fan of The Killers since I was a freshman university dork. I remember singing along so hard to their catchy songs like the overplayed Mr. Brightside, Smile Like You Mean It, and my personal favorite, Read My Mind. The hate due to the last-minute concert cancellation eventually evaporated and I continued to be a fangirl. I admittedly have a weak soul for men named Brandon. Plus Ronnie Vannucci looks like Jason Lee. Now tell me, who could ever hate a guy who looks like Earl? No one.


Fast forward to 2012. The band's back together and they are coming out with a new album. Last night, they released their first single, Runaways. I listened to it a few minutes ago and I wasn't disappointed. I wasn't blown away but I was pretty surprised. In a good way. They still sound like how they should sound. Classic The Killers. Brandon Flowers doing what he should be doing and the rest of the band creating melodies that they should be creating. Same riffs, same song story, same Vegas-style sound. Even Brandon's Morrissey-ish voice fits. Okay don't be sensitive, Smiths fans. I'm not saying that they sound the same but it's kind of known that Brandon Flowers is influenced greatly by Morrissey.






Runaways reminds me of morning train rides. I don't really know why. The song is comfortable. It's like a blanket. Comfy, warm, and snug.


Change is good blah blah. But why fix something that isn't broken? I adore The Killers for not changing their style. Four out of five stars, definitely. Huddle close, listen.






In other news, another favorite band came out with a song last night. Oh world, you have amazing ways of showing you love people like me. BLOC PARTY IS BACK! Yep, Kele is still on vocals and Matt Tong is still on drums. Same people, same line-up. I think the disbandment rumor was deliberately started by the members to screw the minds of puny creatures like me. I was shocked when NME came out with an article hinting that Kele was booted out of the band. After all the drama and the fuckeries, come, let's dance to Octopus.




Are you a Bloc Party listener? No? You can now thank me for introducing you to real music. That's talent right there. Kele has probably one of the most unique voices in the music scene. Two thumbs up. I can't wait for the full album. If you have time to waste, try watching live Bloc Party performances on YouTube. Just a tip: prepare some tissue, you might end up crying.






Follow the official Twitter accounts of both bands:


The Killers
Bloc Party


Note: This is actually my futile attempt to do a music review. Sorry I will do better next time.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento