Martes, Marso 25, 2014

XO

"I am an island and you're the lone coconut tree that survived the salty waters, the coarse sand, the angry waves, and the unforgiving heat. I am an island and you grew on me." - J. Kuizon/12102012

Jake and I met while he was on his way back to the city after vacationing with his college friends in my hometown. We shared the same ride back to Manila, and due to an amazing twist of fate, got stuck in a situation that led us to engage in a conversation. First thing I noticed: he was funny. We exchanged names not numbers, and parted ways when the bus stopped in Cubao. He found me through the wonders of the Internet and we started dating when he showed up in my workplace carrying a box of six glazed donuts. I like food, he likes spontaneity. (Huwag mo akong daanin sa pagkain, nadadaan ako dyan. -Kuizon, 2012)


It’s been more than a year since Jake and I officially became a couple, and we've done our fair share of adventures and misadventures since then. He is a traveler and has been to a couple of places. I try to do a little traveling here and there as well. We're (almost) polar opposites. He's organized, I'm the hit-and-miss type. He's the let's-try-this-thing-it-might-get-us-killed-but-whatever type and I'm the no-I-don't-want-my-face-to-be-broken-due-to-stupidity kind. He's a Math genius (I'm not even kidding) and I'm, well, let's not talk about Math, okay? (He has offered to teach me Mathematics OMG I'm dying he's so sweet. Lol, no.) He likes kids, me, not so much. The list goes on an on. It's basically like this: I'm the round peg and he's the square hole.

It's a wonder that we were able to stay in this relationship longer than what most people would have expected due to the obvious differences. Maybe it's because we surprise each other. We present a different perspective to each other every time --whether it be about life, work, preferences, everything. It's great when two people have the same inclinations, because there's less conflict, there's less decision-making. But I love our little mismatched team. It makes fighting for what we have harder but worth it, so worth it. 

We get into fights. But it's all part of the deal, I guess, considering the fact that he's my first boyfriend and this is my first ever relationship. I didn't have any practice! We both aren't perfect, but we try to be the best we can be for each other.

I used to be the girl who has her own weird standards. What might be cool for other people may not be cool for me. Meeting him changed that. Who would have thought that once in my life I will be spending an afternoon listening to Gloc9, singing Sirena on top of my lungs? None. Not even myself. But it happened and it was silly. But ultimately it was fun, because he didn't just surprise me, I surprised myself. Word of advice to girls who are looking for their significant other: find someone who will bring out the person in you that you didn't think existed. (Wag lang yung mamamatay tao persona mo, pag ganun, hiwalayan mo na yan, girl.) 

One thing I'm proud of of our relationship is that Jake gets along with my family so well. He met Nanay and she liked him and it meant the world to me because my mother was a hard woman to please. She might not be here anymore but I know that she's looking down on us, shaking her head whenever we're fighting. Hehe. Jake's family has always been so nice and welcoming, and I'm grateful for that. I really am.

We still have a long way to go in this roller coaster ride and who knows what will eventually happen. But I know that if ever I'll be afraid, he'll always hold me tight, and if ever he'll want to vomit, I'll hand him the plastic bag. It'll be always like that, and it gives me the all the comfort that I'll ever need. 

Jake and I met on a rainy day. It was the best rainy day ever.




PS. I don't usually write lovey dovey boyfriend stuff but it's my blog so, yeah. 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento